Monday, June 4, 2012

Clean Eating

Happy Monday people! Typically, I always have a case of the Monday's but I'm feeling pretty good today. Probably because I know tonight means the Bachelorette with a few of my favorite ladies, it's always fun to get together and commentate on the ridiculousness of reality TV, although it is quite entertaining.


I've been a "healthy" eater for about 5 years now, but recently I have been taking it a step further by eating clean. This topic has taken off in the news and it sparked my interest so I did my own research on what clean eating is exactly. Clean eating is eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbs. Most prepackaged foods have a long list of ingredients that most people can't even pronounce, so why allow those icky things in your body?!

I used to try buying healthy & organic foods from regular grocery stores but the prices were outrageous, especially when I'm a cheap college kid. My absolute favorite place to shop these days is Trader Joe's, they have an awesome variety of healthy foods that are super cheap! It's a bit of a drive to get weekly groceries, but it's so worth it.

For those of you interested in clean eating, here's a typical day of eating clean!

Breakfast:
1 egg + 1 egg white
whole wheat english muffin
Coffee!

Snack:
Protein shake
[Dashing Dish has great recipes!]

Lunch:
Whole grain wrap with all natural sliced deli meat
Hummus
Lots of veggies

Snack:
Greek Yogurt [TJ's Mango is my fav!]
Berries

Dinner:
Broiled Tilapia
Brown rice
Lots of veggies

I started eating clean about 3 weeks ago, and I have to admit that I've had a lot more energy and I feel less sluggish. I wasn't a "junk" eater, but I still did eat food that had been processed before I started this process. I can definitely feel a difference and my body is much healthier!





1 comment: