Thursday, August 2, 2012

Quality Time When You're Swamped

I'm so guilty of getting caught up in all that is going on, and pushing my time with God to the side. It's such an easy thing to do when you're always doing this, that, and the other. I was convicted of my lack of quality time at our small group this past Tuesday.

One of the girls in small group said, "The longer you go without your quiet time, the easier it gets to forget how much it fills you up. The more you spend time with the Lord and get in a daily routine, the more it will become a part of your daily life."

Amen sister.

This summer I have had ample amounts of time, so I'm constantly pushing things off saying "I've got all day," then the day passes. I've also let days pass me right by without even thanking God for the many blessings in my life. Wow, how jacked up is that? I knew I needed to make a change, and I knew that I needed to make it before school starts back up in full swing. The next morning after small group I asked God what I need to be reading, and I was lead to 1 John.

It's funny how the Lord works some times. The first verse that stuck out to me was 1 John 1:6, "So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing truth."

Guilty.

I claim to have fellowship with God, and then don't spend time with Him on a daily basis. Of course, I do talk about him many times throughout the day with different people, and they're great conversations, but that's only talking about Him, not with Him. If we are living step by step with Jesus, then we are living in His light and in fellowship with Him. It's a little difficult to do that if you're not spending time in his word or in prayer each day.

I've signed myself up for a 1 month quiet time challenge. When I say sign up, I mean holding myself accountable for the month of August. I challenge some of you to join me in this, because I'm sure we can always improve our time with the Lord!

"Remain in fellowship with Christ, so that when He returns, you will be full of courage and not shrink back from Him in shame." - 1 John 2:28


No comments:

Post a Comment