Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Where were you?

I was an innocent 5th grader in Mrs. Cain's class. We turned on the news and saw a tall building with smoke billowing out of the side. All of my fellow classmates, including myself, were utterly confused. We didn't understand what was going on, why it was important, and why our 5th grade teacher looked so upset. I started taking notes while watching the tv, I wanted to make sense of what was going on. After filling up an entire piece of paper, it still didn't quite make sense to me.

An announcement came on over the entire school, our principal instructed that all teachers turn off their tvs and to continue about their day like normal. That announcement didn't turn off my curious mind. We went out to an early recess and a fellow 5th grader tried to explain to me that it had something to do with the World Trade Center. I didn't know what that meant, but it sounded important. I tried to remember WTC so I could ask my mom about it later. We went back inside and I received the message that I had been dismissed early, my mom was in the office to pick me up. She looked upset, but she looked even happier to see me. I remember the big hug she gave me, and then we drove home.

We watched the news the remainder of the afternoon. I was still unsure of what was going on and why it happened. Everything seemed to be chaos. She explained the situation the best she could, and after watching the news I started to make sense of it. I didn't know why, but I did know what was going on. Our country had been attacked by terrorist, and they had changed everything in just a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment